Het Woonanker is a collaboration between CAW Oost-Brabant, OCMW Leuven and the City of Leuven. This offer is intended for socially vulnerable people who need extra support and guidance when looking for rented housing: people who are homeless, have no roof over their heads, refugees, people in low-quality housing.
As demand is high, we are always looking for extra volunteers to support our visitors in their search for housing.
Together with the other volunteers and employees of Het Woonanker, you will work during the on-call moments. You help ensure a warm welcome for every visitor and you explain the services offered. Together with the other volunteers, you are alert to picking up their needs in their search for housing and to supporting them in this regard.
Thanks to your commitment, they are literally and figuratively not alone!
What are your duties as a volunteer?
- You commit to at least 1 on-call moment per week or a number of times per month. You can do so on Monday, Tuesday or Friday 9 a.m. - 12 noon, Thursday 2 p.m. - 5 p.m., or Tuesday 5 p.m. - 7 p.m.
- You help visitors very specifically: how to search for housing on the internet, how to call a landlord/landlady, what to look for when viewing housing, what to think about when moving, etc.
- In addition to the fixed on-call moments, you can also support visitors during an initial tour of rented housing: you help them make contact with the owner or estate agent’s office, you accompany them on the tour of the housing, and during these contacts with the owner you ensure that the positive attitude and motivation of the prospective tenant is clearly highlighted. This offer is specific to people who find it difficult to do this independently. You decide when you can make yourself available for a viewing. The region in which we work is limited to Leuven and its surrounding area.
Profile of the volunteer
- You are in good general health and do not have any symptoms of COVID-19
- You have an open and friendly attitude towards all visitors to Het Woonanker.
- You can make contact easily. If you speak other languages (English, French, Arabic, etc.) you can help newcomers/refugees even more effectively.
- You are very good at searching the internet.
- You are discreet: visitors’ personal information is not communicated to third parties.
- You find the mission of CAW Oost-Brabant appealing.
Het Woonanker offers you:
- an enthusiastic team of employees and volunteers working together for CAW, OCMW and the City of Leuven
- engaging contacts with a variety of visitors
- on-boarding and support by employees involved
- support for your task through regular volunteer meetings and individual coaching
- insurance during and on the way to/from your volunteer activity
- reimbursement of expenses for travelling from and to volunteer work (by car, bicycle or public transport)
- a great deal of appreciation and the opportunity to learn a whole lot more
- the opportunity to help build a welcoming Leuven and create fun new contacts yourself
- CAW Oost-Brabant newsletter
What happens after you apply?
- Register below.
- We will provide Het Woonanker with your information.
- Het Woonanker will contact you to make practical arrangements.